Sunday, April 09, 2006

Wada Toge Ride

After a 5-week hibernation from long rides I join Phil, Keren, Nick, Dennis, and Mika for a 140-kilometer assault on the mountains west of Tokyo. The day turned out a bit longer than I anticipated, but the scenery was gorgeous and it is cathartic to escape the routine of Tokyo and be deep in the mountains. Phil and Dennis lead us on a course starting in Noborito up the Tamagawa through Hachioji to the Jimba Kaido and then back through Itsukaichi to the Tamagawa.

I felt so uncompetitive on the bike at New Zealand Ironman, but on a long ride in the hills I am relatively strong. I vow to make the effort to do some interesting new route once per month no matter the initial, little extra hassle and preparation involved. Not that I do any preparation --I have become accustomed to training rides, not all-day treks, and I don't even bother to bring extra clothes.
After the ride, as we relaxed in a restaurant (whose name I am too embarrassed to disclose), I asked ironman veteran, Keren Miers, if he was at all tired. "Why of course not", he exclaimed with a mixture of shock and disdain, "We didn't even average 20k per hour, we constantly stopped to rest, and we enjoyed a stiff tailwand the last 30k". Oh. OK. Well I guess I am not feeling tired either then. When I return from the ride I put on my running shoes and sprinted to the grocery store to buy dinner. A normal person upon finishing a 140-kilometer, 9-hour, mountain ride might return home, soak in the bath, phone and order a pizza, go to sleep early... But not an ironman. And, just like last week, after the Ome Trail Run I have no choice anyway - I have friends in town to entertain, and various errands and obligations to deal with.
And of course the next morning I will arise early to do a hard run. And am I tired?

No comments: