Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Solidarity with Peruvian Brothers Run


Sunday is the day of the Sagamihara Half-Marathon, but the US military base where the event is held will not allow Omar, our teammate from Peru, to participate.  Nambanners decide that if we do not make a stand in support of our Peruvian teammates now, it will just be a matter of time until  they will be coming one-by-one to haul the rest of us off to Guantanamo Bay.  So Steve and Gareth boycott the race, and along with Adam, Colin, Martin, Gary, Mami, Yuka and myself do a long run in support of our Peruvian Brothers.

I find running round and round and round the 2.5k loop at Yoyogi to be a tedious way to get in a long run, but it is a nice chance to spend quality time with the teammates and start planning some future races such as the Angkor Wat Half-Marathon in December.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could claim to be so principled as to have boycotted on Omar's behalf. The thought did cross my mind, and certainly many of us are outraged by this incident. It is enough, on top of a raft of other reasons, to vow never again to race at Camp Zama (or whetever it clls itself). No, my real reasons were mor mundane: bad cold. Now I'm off to buy some garlic tablets.