Monday, April 17, 2006

Beyond the Bike Cafe

Like so many Tokyo area cyclists I have long wondered what lies beyond the Bike Cafe. On Saturday, Stu, Mika, Keren, and I journeyed north along the Arakawa in a quest for discovery and adventure. After 40k, Stu and Mika stopped at the bike cafe and decided to enjoy the sumptuous weekend brunch, while Keren and I continued on our perilous mission.

Soon the bike trail took us through an amazing canopy of sakura blossoms, then past a huge bento lunchbox factory, and beside an epic aqueduct bridge that can be seen for miles and miles. Finally we left the path and crossed a vast northern wasteland, zig-zagged through a rural village clinging to the edge of civilization and ultimately arrived at the destination that I heard rumors about, but never imagined until I saw it with my own eyes -- the Musashi Kyuryo Shinrin National Park

Since the theme of today's ride was "No McDonalds" (in other words only very infrequent and very brief stops), Keren and I hurriedly began our long return trip back to the civilized world. We returned to Oji after covering 140-kilometers in about 6 hours. I was not totally exhausted, though I was bonking a bit despite consuming 2 gels, a powerbar and candy bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice piece of research about the park. Interesting!

And I was, and still am, shattered after the ride and the weekend runs and last night's swim. And there is spin tonight. But only a couple of more hard weeks and it will be time to taper.