Thursday, April 20, 2006

Time utilization


I have a book -- the Triathlon Training Bible -- which goes on for pages and pages and pages about the importance of "periodization" -- carefully planning one's training schedule over the course of the entire year so that you will peak for a few select events.  Also to realize recovery-driven improvement I am supposed to adhere to a very precise schedule.

Yeah, right.  What actually happens is that if I happen to find myself with time on my hands I go for long bicycle rides.  Or a teammate suggests a bike ride, road run, or swim workout on some random day I try to join if I can make the time.  And of course if the weather is nice I go farther.  I am surrounded by rather driven, determined people, but I am pretty happy-go-lucky about training.   Or maybe just lazy.

Throughout the 1990s my life was all about work.  I managed to jog a few nights per week because it was pleasant and relaxing.  When I found myself with more time a few years ago I started trying to do triathlons, and oddly this accelerated upon moving to Tokyo.

Anyway I was busy in last month and early this month and didn't train.   Now over the past 10 days I found myself with some spare time, so I have started training a bit again:

Sunday April 9 - 15k run
Monday - 3k swim
Tuesday - 35k spin
Wednesday - 3.5k swimming and 20k run
Thursday - 9k run
Friday - Recovery
Saturday - 140k cycling
Sunday - 22k run
Monday - 2.5k swim
Tuesday - 30k spin
Wednesday - 17k run
Thursday (Today) - 4k swim




No comments: