Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ome Takamizu 30k Trail Run

On Sunday I ran the 30-kilometer Montrail Ome Takamizu Trail Run with a group of over a dozen Namban Rengo teammates.

I had a good run, improving significantly from my time of 2:37:04 last year. Throughout the race I told myself to "stay in the present" and focus my attention on my form, and the effects of running (in other words pain) on my body. The upside of a "roller-coaster" course like Ome is that I can isolate each section - in essence focusing on just getting up (or down) the one hill I can see in front of me, and trying not to let myself even contemplate anything beyond that. During races (for that matter on my day-to-day life in general) my mind tends to wander and I fail to stay in the moment. Yoga has been useful for working on concentration.

With all the pre-race hype and trash-talking over the epic duel with Mike, I knew I needed to run a strong, tactical race. Like last year, I started at a smooth pace and passed other runners throughout the event. For the early part of the run I hung off the shoulder of Mike, waiting for my chance to make a move. About 5k into the run I surged on a steep hill and never looked back.

By the halfway mark I was told I was in 23rd place. I passed another dozen or so runners during the last half of the run, usually on uphills. (I like to think I am strong on trail runs, but it seems that the hardcore trail runners continue to pass me on the downhills).

Among the dozens of races I have done in Japan over the past several years, the Ome Trail Run is among my favorites - it is convenient, well-organized and the course is an interesting challenge (as well as being scenic).

I felt reasonably strong throughout the race, especially given my limited training during the month of March. However two days later my thighs are quite sore. My relative strength on the trail has got me contemplating attempting the 70-kilometer Hasegawa Cup trail run in October.



"Check into the heart and source of the feelings of discomfort, and then turn it up a gear. Promise yourself to stay with it for a limited period, for example say to yourself, "Just to the next street light." Then when you get there, renegotiate your willingness to turn it up a notch again and so on—this is the very core of what it takes to transcend your perceived limits and perform at the very highest level of your ability" Bobby Mcgee - Olympic Endurance Coach

No comments: