Sunday, February 05, 2006

Arizona Desert Run

I enjoy a 25-kilometer run through Estrella Mountains in Arizona. Running through the empty wide-open desert is such a dramatic contrast to claustrophobic Tokyo.

The swim workout in the pool at this retirement community is good triathlon training. The pool is of epic size and floating around the pool on inflatable tubes are many midwestern Americans (also of epic size) who I can easily imagine are buoys and practice navigating around them.

This week's trip to San Francisco and Arizona negatively impacts my bicycle training. But the morning before my flight I managed a 110-kilometer ride on the Arakawa. I average 24K per hour into wind, 29k coming back. The real highlight of the ride is running into Nambanner Aya Tanaka and Keith Noyes of the wonderful Hong Kong Mountain Marathon series Aya and Keith are doing a training run along the Arakawa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my sort of pool!

Anonymous said...

It must be such a contrast seeing you alongside your overfed and under-exercised compatriots. Enjoy the trip and have some more runs in the desert after which you can enjoy some dessert.