Thursday, February 16, 2006

Gel and Bananas - Eating during a triathlon


Now my weight has dropped below 60 kilograms (132 pounds).  This is even less than what I weighed when I was 16 years old. 

I try to eat as much as possible, but with all the cycling and swimming and running and work,  I just seem to be getting thinner and weaker.

This evening before the spin class I purchase a "Bento Box" - a clever little bike pack that attaches to the top tube and handle bar stem.   My  biggest eating challenge to date is not eating enough during long bicycle rides.   My food has been inaccessible during my rides - in a little pack under my bike seat.  Also, it is hard to peal a banana with gloves on while riding a bicycle.  On top of that, I am accustomed to much shorter workouts and races -- typically an hour or less - so eating is something I don't even think about.

At an ironman I will be competing for well over 12 hours, so I better be ready to be eating every 30 minutes or so.   According to the New Zealand Race Manual I will be provided with bananas, cookies, Pro4 bars, Pro4 gels, water, Pro4 electrolyte fluid, and Coca Cola.

I am not familiar with the Pro4 brand.  Fortunately though gels are remarkably popular in Japan, so I know my stomach can handle them.  In the US, sports bars are common, but gels seemed to only be available at sporting good stores.  The Japan market prefers the gels - they are cleaner and more portable - and I have been able to find them at all the ubiquitous convenient stores.

After the spin class  tonight I immediately eat a banana.   Then I pick up some sushi and spinach at the supermarket.  After this, I am no longer hungry, but for good measure consume a few bowls of my favorite dinner - Apple Jacks breakfast cereal.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be in marathon shape now, rather than Iron Man I guess. You should do 4th training on top of bike, run and swim, EATING that is!

Anonymous said...

If you keep up this weight loss, you will fade away to nothing! Ever thought about consuming large tubs of icecream?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you probably need some advice from a sports dietician...one that knows about Ironman. I suspect you might need to think about a protein supplement and to make sure that you are also taking in enough fats - cod liver oil, avocado, cold pressed olive oil. We do go on and on about carbs, and they are important, but I suspect when you are burning as many calories as you are, in an aerobic furnace, you need to make sure there is fats and protein in the mix.

Jay said...

Thanks for all your advice.

I made a very conscious effort to eat more protein yesterday.

Fortunately I like avocado and olive oil and fish.