Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Travel and logistics

The real challenge now is just getting to the ironman starting line.

I need to get my bike in a box and onto the plane.

I need to go through my huge checklist and make sure I do not forget anything. This is the part of the triathlon that makes just going to a running race seem so easy and pleasant.

I couldn't afford the direct flight to Auckland - it is far to expensive for a person on my limited income. I am travelling on a 70,000-yen Thai Airways flight which connects through Bangkok. At least I will get some Star Alliance award miles.

Gary Eng, a native Kiwi, who spends half his time in New Zealand, will pick me up at the Auckland Airport, and we will go directly to the race registration, bike check and carbo dinner. Thank goodness for Gary. I can't exaggerate how important Gary's generosity and expertise is to me right now.

Gary reminds me to drink lots of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic liquid on the flight down. I am debating whether to take a sleeping pill to knock me out and increase my chances of getting precious sleep on the flight. Sleep in the nights leading up to the ironman is a big concern of mine right now. I have already written off getting much sleep on the night before the ironman. So I really hope to get enough rest Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights. Unfortunately I am off to a bad start because I needed to prepare for a work-related presentation last night (Monday). My original plan was to arrive in Lake Taupo on Wednesday morning, but work pushed it back a day and has caused this tight schedule. Oh well, if I was in New Zealand I would just be sitting around feeling nervous.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jay, it is so close now you can almost taste it. You can certainly smell it. Drink plenty of milk (if you can stomach it, up to a liter or even 2 per day) over the next few days and 250 grams of honey the day before the race. The milk is for calcium and other important electrolytes. The honey is to top up glycogen.

I'd be leary about the sleeping pill. Just sleep as much as you can before and after the flight. Depending on the time period the flight is over (is it a night flight?) you might not even need to sleep much during it. Just the sitting in a kind of dozy state will be restful. Just don't drink alchol (goes without saying I guess) and have a walk every hour or two). If we don't get to talk again. GOOOOOOD LUUUUUUCK!!

Jay said...

Thanks Steve.
And I think thats the right advice on sleep. It is a night flight. I tend to panic when I am not falling asleep and it just makes things worse. I need to remind myself that just sitting in a dozy restful state will be good enough.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

My original comment was a bit corny, so I deleted it. Don't think so hard about it! Just go and enjoy the experience. Of course I was in the same boat as you are in just a couple of months ago, but instead of getting nervous about doing it and stressing out on this and that, just focus on what you will achieve. Have fun! Break a leg!