Sunday, February 26, 2006

Top 10 side benefits from entering ironman

There is nothing like the prospect of swimming, biking, and running some 226 kilometers to inspire me to get off my butt and accomplish a variety of positive changes I had previously put off. Here are a few of the unanticipated residual benefits (so far) from entering the triathlon --

1. Improved Diet - My protein intake is way up from all the fish I have been eating. My potassium intake is way, way, way up from the extraordinary number of bananas I consume. Also I am getting lots of good cholesterol from eating so many avocados.

2. Visiting New Zealand - I certainly was impressed by the stunning scenery in the Lord of the Rings movies and have met so many great Kiwis over the years, but lets face it - there was no way I would have made the trip all the way to Auckland if I did not have the excuse of the triathlon.

3. Overcoming Caffeine Addiction - I went the whole day yesterday without a cup of coffee. A month ago I couldn't have made it until noon without coffee. After only a few hours without caffeine in the morning or afternoon and I would suffered a terrible headache.

4. New bike - I finally got around to buying a new bike. For me the sport is definitely "not about the bike" - and my new bike is not particularly special. Nonetheless I had zero confidence in the bike I had been using and now, thanks in part to the new bike, I am a bit more motivated to ride.

5. Discovering anti-fog drops for my swim goggles - Why on earth did I not make the effort to use this product before? Nothing like being able to actually see the buoys and see the other people in the pool.

6. Swimming at Lunch - Who knew what a pleasant little escape an hour of swimming could be right in the middle of the workday?

7. Learning to use aero bars - Long ago I was told I could realize a 10% faster bike time by using aero bars. But being hunched over those bars looked terribly uncomfortable and unappealing. Again it took the impetus of the ironman to force me to overcome the initial pain in my neck and butt, not to mention the fear of toppling over

8. Writing a blog - Now I am of the opinion that preparing for an Olympic distance triathlon justifies creating a blog. Preparing for a 10k justifies a blog. Hell, getting out and jogging around the block a few times a week is cause enough. But in my case it took the whole ironman complexity and challenge to persuade me to contact Mika and Steve and learn how easy it is to join the blogosphere.

9. Doing yoga - And I resolve to continue these flexibility and core strength exercises from now forward.

10. Recognizing the support of my friends - Well, I suppose I had a good sense for this already, but still it is remarkably gratifying to see my teammates rally to encourage and support me.

No comments: