Saturday, February 18, 2006

Run Mileage



My running mileage seems grossly inadequate preparation for a marathon in two weeks.  Here is my weekly totals for the last 11 weeks -

Week 1 - 44 km
Week 2 - 34 km
Week 3 - 44 km
Week 4 - 21 km
Week 5 - 41 km
Week 6 - 47 km
Week 7 - 23 km
Week 8 - 67 km
Week 9 - 40 km
Week 10- 42km
Week 11 -43km

Most weeks have only entailed a longish run, an interval or tempo on Wednesday night, and maybe some short post-bicycle run.    I am a bit concerned about the fact of not running so many miles. 

But then I remind myself that this was the whole idea behind doing an ironman in the first place.  My original plan was to do the Ohtawara Marathon last November in hopes of qualifying for the Boston Marathon, a race I have hoped to run for several decades now. 

But upon pondering the idea of 150-kilometers per week, I switched my goal to the ironman figuring, hey, I can just walk half of the marathon in an ironman. 

For that matter, the reason I started doing triathlon training in the first place was to cross-train and avoid the repetitive stress injuries of running alone.  For the most part I have been successful.  (Though I must admit my shoulders are starting to ache from the big increase in swimming, and my knees and the back of my neck hurt from cycling so much...)

Tomorrow is the Ome Marathon (30-kilometers).  After that I taper. I had visions of doing more this past week, but due to my feeble, protein-deficient condition I have backed off a bit.  Here is Week 11 training -

Swim  -  2:30  (6.1 km)
Bike  -    9:30  (225 km)
Run   -   3:30   (43 km)
Total  - 15 hours 30 minutes


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about your running! Just remember "under 17 hours"! You can walk/crawl the marathon as long as you finish in by midnight. When I did my IM last year and when I realized that I would actually finish before the cut off, it was the best feeling!

That being said, with your running background you have nothing to worry about! Under 17 hours!!!!

Jay said...

Thanks - this is exactly the point that I need to remind myself.

Somehow, some way I will get across the finish line.