Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My last marathon


Its been a long time since I ran a marathon.  I mean a really long, long time.  Jimmy Carter was still the United State president.  The top songs on the music charts were "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd, and "The Tide is High" by Blondie. 

My goal on that rainy day in Seattle was to break 3 hours.  I had been running 70 miles per week during the month leading up to the marathon  (this took place in America - so I think in miles).

I had not been running for long at the time.  Not surprisingly I went out fast and hit the wall.  I shuffled along for the entire last 6 miles.   Sitting here today, I can't really grasp the pain that I felt that day.  But even now I know it was pretty bad.  I do remember frequently walking and people running by and encouraging me to run, so I would obediently break into a shuffle for a few hundred yards. 

Immediately upon crossing the finish line, in spite of all the pain, I vowed I would enter another marathon soon, and I would break 3 hours.  Perhaps at my next marathon I would even qualify for Boston.  My relatives lived near Boston and it was a dream of mine to travel there, and I thought it would be an incredible experience to compete in that race.  I knew I could do it.  I just needed to run smarter.  "Next spring I will do it" I thought to myself, or at the latest "next November".

Well, the years go by. 

I suffered from the typical over-use running injuries, and when I did run, I tried to limit the punishment on my body.  Running was something I did for the sheer pleasure of it, not to train for some event.  People never stopped asking me - when are you going to do a marathon Jay?, and my reply was always "maybe next year".   Somehow I never felt ready.   I never felt like my body could hold up.


So now do I feel ready to run a marathon Saturday?  
Sure, why not.   No time like the present.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that you can remember that far back in time. Did you have long hair then too?

Jay said...

Yep - went past my shoulders