Friday, March 31, 2006

2 x 5k Time Trial


The last Wednesday of every month at Tokyo's Oda Track, 5k time trials are run at 7:20pm and 7:40pm.   It works out just right for me to do a hard pace workout combining both runs.  For example this past Wednesday I ran the first 5k with Masako in 19:09.  Then I sprinted over to catch the start of the second 5k, wherein I chased Juergen and Anthony for an 18:45.  The magic of this session is having so many people around me to push me along.   I just really enjoy being swept along by the crowd of humanity.  Some people might complain that the track is too crowded, but I consider this part of the charm of Oda Field -- and Tokyo in general for that matter.

I just wish I could carry this same energy to my road runs.  I have been doing this double 5k workout almost every month for almost a year and it has proved to be some of the best running I have done -- my 10k races have not been much faster...

No comments: