Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bicycling Waiheke Island

 
Lugging my bicycle all the way to New Zealand for the ironman was a bit of a hassle.  But now I am in a great position to tour the splendid city of Auckland on my own bicycle with cleats and bike shorts and gloves.
 
Touring new places by bicycle is really what I enjoy about the sport.  Riding round and round the same loop for hours training for an event is OK for awhile, but not nearly as compelling.  
 
Bicycle was the perfect way to cover Waiheke Island.  Well, I suppose 99% of the world population would not agree with me -- Waiheke Island is extremely hilly.   But I am in uniquely good shape now, and hills are my strength.   I reached Waiheke Island on a 40-minute ferry from central Auckland.  There was a bit of traffic for the first few kilometers, but then the remainder of the island was empty roads through wide open pastures with spectacular views of the surrounding bays.  
 
After being crushed by all the other cyclists at Iroman New Zealand, I was ready to give up on the sport, but not I think I will keep my bicycle.
 
  

No comments: