Sunday, March 05, 2006

New Zealand Ironman Cancelled

 
The Ironman officicals cancel the ironman due to high winds and surf exceeding 2-meters on Lake Taupo. 
 
On the morning of the event, I wake up at 5am and it is incredibly cold and the wind is screaming.  We wait in a big tent that threatens to blow over.  We all put on our wetsuits and are ready to go, and the though of actually getting into the water is a bit daunting.  Finally at 6:45, 15-minutes before the anticipated start, the officials announce the swim is cancelled and we should await further notice.
 
Of course it is a bit distressing after 3-months of focusing on accomplishing Ironman.  I had chosen the New Zealand Ironman in part because it seemed to promise the most benign conditions among the Ironmans I might have targeted.
 
So I still can't call myself an ironman (though I did get the t-shirt).
 
Training and preparing for Ironman was a wonderful experience.  Actually doing the Ironman was just an added bonus.  Most of my fellow competitors that I spoke to had been training far longer than I have. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's go to Goto!

So you will now sign up for IM Japan? I need a training partner and you still have to reach your goal of doing one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. What a bummer!

Anonymous said...

You must be really disappointed. Go for Goto now!

Anonymous said...

Jay, so sorry to read this. I guess you can always put the training to use in some way, shape, or form, but it must be terribly dissapointing with the time and expense put into the trip. I hope you manage to enjoy New Zealand all the same. Get plenty of lamb into you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jay
Keren reminded me to read your blog. Thanks Keren. It's terrible and sorry to hear this. Quite a few friends from Singapore were there for racing IM as well and I was worried about all of you.
Although I am a SUCKS lousy swimmer, I would be still disappointed if there would be only duathlon. However Jay, you should be proud yourself you still did completed such a difficult conditions - the gust on the bike must have been awful!! Congrats anyway, Jay. You deserve a rest and beer. meeks -small mika