Friday, March 03, 2006

Day before Ironman

 
At the pre-race Ironman briefing this morning the officials threatened to cancel the swim if the wind does not die down.   I did a quick test swim 30 minutes ago and the swells were a meter high.  I have swam in worse conditions, but not for 3.8 kilometers.  I worry a bit about finishing within 2:20 minutes, and find myself almost hoping that the swim is cancelled.   This screaming wind is going to add a bit of extra challenge to the bike leg too.
 
It is enjoyable meeting my fellow athletes.  But I am glad that I did not arrive in Taupo any earlier than yesterday.  Too much time to get even more anxious about the event. 
 
I did manage to get pretty good sleep on the flight down and last night.  And my weight is up to 64 kilograms.
 
The primary advice we are given at the carbo-load dinner is to not go out too hard, and to enjoy the event itself.  I cannot imagine going out very fast tomorrow on any leg. 

No comments: